Homestay – Early Intervention Program
Is one or more of these putting your housing at risk?
- Behind in rent or mortgage
- Trouble looking after your rental property
- Hassles/disputes with neighbours
- Money problems-debts/rent arrears
- Family relationship issues
- Health problems
- Drugs and alcohol issues
If the answer is yes, Homestay may be able to help.
Assistance is offered by workers to help identify and work on issues before families find themselves in crisis.
We work together to develop and action plans to maintain your housing by building on you and your family’s strengths and resources. The program requires clients to actively participate and meet regularly with workers to achieve their identified goals.
The service can support clients for longer case support periods for early intervention to homelessness and provide brief interim support for those who are homeless.
Early Intervention Support
Case Workers support clients to stabilise their situations by assisting them to address the underlying issues putting their housing at risk.
These include issues such as: low income, difficulties with budgeting and managing finances and maintaining a property (to a standard required by landlords), interpersonal relationship and household issues, and health concerns.
Case Workers are trained professionals who have the expertise to assist clients in negotiating the “complex” systems they find themselves in (such as Centrelink and other government departments). They have knowledge of the current resources and information relevant to maintain tenancies and address other concerns effecting client wellbeing.
Homestay Case Workers come from the belief that the client is the expert in their own life and that they have their own unique strengths, life experiences and resources that they can draw on to achieve their goals.
Interim homelessness support
Homestay can also provide brief support for people who are homeless with:
- Provision of Information relevant to their situation; for example, navigating social housing and private rental markets, and where to access other resources (e.g. bond loans, rental grant)
- Referrals to other specialised services and supports-for example legal, health and financial.
- Advocacy with government departments,
- Checking for emergency accommodation vacancies
We also record all homeless presentations at our centres to provide State and Federal governments with the statistics they need to plan for future funding for accommodation and essential services to support homeless people and those at risk of homelessness.
Helpful Links and Telephone Numbers
- Homeless Hotline – 1800 454 753
- HART 4000 – 07 3004 0100
- MICAH Projects (Home for Good) 07 3063 4444
- Salvation Army Supported accommodation- Caboolture – 07 5495 4400
- Chameleon House Redcliffe (15 – 17 years of age) 07 3284 4805
- Caboolture Youth Shelter ( Burpengary-males and females 16- 21)- 07 3888 9355
- Carinity Youth- Orana (Bald Hills individuals 16-18years )- 07 3261 3969
- Salvation Army Crisis Accommodation – 07 5447 1184
- Salvation Army Pindari (Women) – 07 3832 1491
- Salvation Army Pindari (Men) – 07 3832 1491
- D V Connect 24 hour (Women) 1800 811 811
- Domestic Violence 24 hour (Men) 1800 600 636
Department of Housing and Public Works
- Caboolture Housing Service Centre – 07 5431 2501
- Chermside Housing Service 07 3896 9900
- Department of Housing – Reconnect visiting service
- Encircle Redcliffe – 1st and 3rd Monday of the Month 9am-1pm walk-in visits.
- A financial counsellor operates on a part time basis from the Encircle site at Lawnton, please book in reception or via phone: 3889 0063
- Salvation Army Money Care are located at 27-29 Lawnton Pocket Road. Mobile: 0407 973 590
- Salvation Army Money Care also operates from our Encircle site at Redcliffe, please book in reception or via phone: 3284 3081 or direct mobile: 0407 973 590.
- Qstars – Qld Statewide Tenant Advise and referral Service. Ph: 1300 744 263 | www.qstars.org.au
The regional Qstar provider for Moreton Bay is Enhance Care www.tenancyadvice.org.au
- Tenants Queensland www.tenantsqld.org.au
- RTA (Residential Tenancies Authority) Ph: 1300 366 311 | www.rta.qld.gov.au
- Lifeline Phone 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline Phone 1800 55 1800
- Suicide Call Back Service Phone 1300 659 467
- MensLine Australia Phone 1300 78 99 78
- SANE Australia Helpline Phone 1800 18 7263
- Beyondblue Info Line Phone 1300 22 4636