Homestay supports clients for longer-term case support periods for Early Intervention to homelessness. It also provides brief interim support for those who are homeless.
Homestay workers are based at the Encircle Pine Rivers and Redcliffe Neighbourhood Centres and also operate a service for the Brisbane North region from the Zilmere Community Centre.
Early Intervention Support
Case Workers support clients to stabilise their situations by assisting them to address the underlying issues putting their housing at risk.
These include issues such as:
- low income
- difficulties with budgeting and managing finances
- maintaining a property (to a standard required by landlords)
- strained interpersonal relationships,
- physical and mental health concerns,
- problematic drug and alcohol use
Case Workers are trained professionals who have the expertise to assist clients in negotiating “complex” systems (such as Centrelink and other government departments). They have knowledge of the current resources and information relevant to maintain tenancies and address other concerns imapcting client wellbeing.
Homestay Case Workers come from the belief that the client is the expert in their own life and that they have their own unique strengths, life experiences and resources that they can draw on to achieve their goals.
Interim homelessness support
Homestay can also provide brief support for people who are homeless with:
- Provision of Information relevant to their situation; for example, navigating social housing and private rental markets, and where to access other resources (e.g. bond loan, rental grant)
- Referrals to other specialised services and supports-for example legal, family relationship supports, health and financial.
- Advocacy with government departments,
- Checking for emergency accommodation vacancies
We also record all homeless presentations at our centres to provide State and Federal governments with the statistics they need to plan for future accommodation and essential services needs within our region.
Contact details for Encircle Homestay Teams
Pine Rivers ph: 3899 0063
Redcliffe ph: 3284 3081
Brisbane North ph: 3152 8246
Helpful Links and Telephone Numbers
- Homeless Hotline – 1800 454 753
- HART 4000 – 07 3004 0100
- MICAH Projects (Home for Good) 07 3063 4444
- Salvation Army Supported accommodation- Caboolture – 07 5495 4400
- Salvation Army Upfront Intervention Service- 07 3832 1491
- Salvation Army Crisis Accommodation – 07 5447 1184
- Salvation Army Pindari (Women) – 07 3832 1491
- Salvation Army Pindari (Men) – 07 3832 1491
Department of Housing and Public Works
- A financial counsellor operates on a part time basis from the Encircle site at Lawnton, please book in reception or via phone: 3889 0063
- Salvation Army Money Care are located at 27-29 Lawnton Pocket Road. Mobile: 0407 973 590
- Salvation Army Money Care also operates from our Encircle site at Redcliffe, please book in reception or via phone: 3284 3081 or direct mobile: 0407 973 590
- Qstars – Qld Statewide Tenant Advise and referral Service. Ph: 1300 744 263 | www.qstars.org.au
The regional Qstar provider for Moreton Bay is Enhance Care www.tenancyadvice.org.au
- Tenants Queensland www.tenantsqld.org.au
- RTA (Residential Tenancies Authority) Ph: 1300 366 311 | www.rta.qld.gov.au