Community Finance information in relation to: Pine Rivers N.I.L.S No Interest Loan Scheme, Money Saving Tips, and the AddsUp Saving Plan
If you are not eligible for a NILS® loan or have other credit and debt issues, contact the National Debt Hotline on 1800 007 007, www.ndh.org.au 9:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday, for help and assistance. There may be other options available, such as talking to a free and confidential financial counsellor to get your finances sorted.
- Financial Counselling appointments through Encircle Lawnton. Reception 3889 0063
- National Debt Helpline Financial Counselling: 1800 007 007 www.ndh.org.au 9:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday
- Financial Help Websites: Australian Bankers’ Association and how your bank can help you.
- Money Smart: www.moneysmart.gov.au
- Centrelink: http://www.centrelink.gov.au
- Family Assistance Office: http://www.familyassist.gov.au
No Interest Loan Scheme
- Loan Amount $800 – $2,000
- Loan Term 12 – 24 Months
- Flexible repayments to suit your budget
- Fees Nil
- Interest Rates Nil
To apply you need
- to be 18 years or older
- to be a permanent resident of Australia
To qualify you need
- to be able to repay a loan
- to be willing to take responsibility for your financial position
DESCRIPTION of No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS)
NILS provide community finance to individuals and families on low incomes with access to safe, fair and affordable credit. Loans which are managed by Good Shepherd are available for essential goods and services such as fridges, washing machines, car repairs and medical procedures for up to $2,000.
Repayments are set at an affordable amount over 12 to 24 months.
Community Finance Eligibility Requirements
- Health Care Card / Pension Card or earn less than $57,000 a year after tax ($75,000 for couples or people with dependants)
- current or previous address for at least 3 months
- Capacity to repay the loan
- Review attached checklist
- Ring Encircle 3889 0063 and request a NILS support worker to ring you with more information.
- The NILS support worker will ask you to send your supporting documents with your contact details by email
- You will receive a phone call to arrange an appointment time for your interview.
- During the interview, the NILS support worker will ensure the loan is affordable and all supporting documents provided.
- Loan application will be submitted to Loans Assessor for review
- You will be notified of the decision.
NILS Supporting Document Checklist
- Driver’s Licence
- Centrelink Health Care card or Pension card
- Centrelink Income Statement (less than two weeks old)
- Payslips (last payslip with employer’s ABN or if CASUAL last 3 payslips)
PLACE OF RESIDENCE
- Renting Rental statement showing over 3 months stay and that rent is up to date
- Not on a Lease or Boarding?
- Please provide a statutory Declaration from your landlord or main leaseholder Homeowner Most Recent Property rate notice
The Quote must be on an official letterhead with ABN & Bank Details/or screen shot of online items, including purchase price including GST & delivery costs if applicable
- Bank Statements on all bank accounts covering the last 90 days
- All credit cards
- All loans Eg Payday loans, personal loans, car loans
ANY OTHER DEBTS
- Recent statement Bond loans Centrelink debt (Centrelink deduction statement)
- Rent to buy contracts
- Other Debts
NILS providers outside of our locality can be located here.
Step Up Loans to a value of $3000 can also be obtained from other providers. More information on Step Up Loans can be found here.
NILS Community Finance is available to community members on a low income who are not experiencing financial hardship. If you are in financial hardship, please contact Encircle on 3889 0063 to explore other ways we may be able to assist you.
Tip: If you are on a low income, find ways to save on living expenses and avoid money traps.
Download our Savings Tips Brochure for some ideas.
Tip: A number of community supermarkets operate in the area and sell food at extremely low cost ($1, $2 or free).
- Sowers 29 Lamington Road, Mango Hill (Weekdays 9am to 12pm) on 07 3889 1464
- World Harvest 53 Telegraph Rd, Bald Hills (Weekdays 9am—4pm)
Avoid Payday Loans
Tip: Payday loans attract huge fees and interest rates and often lead people into a cycle of debt.
If you need advice on getting out of a debt trap with a payday lender contact the Consumer Action Law Centre on 1800 466 477.
Tip: Energy costs are increasing and some energy companies use estimates instead of actual readings.
If you don’t understand your bill or want to reduce your energy costs, contact the Home Energy Saving Scheme on 1800 007 001
Free Second Hand Goods
Tip: You can get free second hand goods and furniture through Freecycle, a Yahoo group supporting recycling.
Home Assist Secure
Tip: Seniors and those with disabilities can get help with house repairs and home security.
Contact Home Assist Secure on 07 3889 1852 or 07 3889 1849 (after hrs)
Be Money Smart
Get educated about money matters to get on top of your finances. Find unclaimed money, learn how to budget and find out what all that money jargon means.
For more information, contact Money Smart
Low Income Loans & Plans
Tip: Low Interest and No Interest Loans are available for essential household items through community organisations.
Some banks also have matched savings schemes (eg if you save $500, they will match it with another $500).
Tip: When your finances are getting out of control and you have increasing debts, get help as early as possible.
These organisations can help:
You can open up an AddsUP savings account after you have paid off your first NILS Loan.
This savings plan is a great way to start getting into the habit of saving money. If you save $500 over 6 to 12 months, the National Australia Bank will reward you with another $500 as a once off bonus. Keep saving and watch your bank account grow!
See: AddsUP Savings Plan info at NAB.
Please visit Pine Rivers Neighbourhood Centre to begin the process of applying for the AddsUP Savings Plan.
Our AddsUp volunteer will take you through the details of the program and assist you to complete the AddsUP application form.
Once you have completed the AddsUP form you will receive a letter of confirmation in the mail.
Please take this letter, with all the required documentation (as listed in the letter) to your local NAB branch.
There are three different options for a customer to make savings on their account:
1. The customer can ask whichever financial institution they have their regular savings account with to set up regular automatic drawings in to their savings account.
2. The customer can make transfers via internet banking.
3. The customer can ask the NAB branch staff to organise a deposit book for them when they are down at the branch.
This all depends on the customer’s financial situation and time-frame goal.
As a general rule, deposits of $20 per fortnight will result in $520 over 12 months. The customer may choose to deposit larger amounts to reach the savings goal of $500 in a shorter period of time.
The customer must ensure that they do not deposit monies exceeding $100 at any one time.
As per the AddsUP Savings Plan ‘Terms and Conditions’, all customers must save for a minimum period of 6 months before they are eligible for matching and the customer will not be matched earlier than the minimum savings period of 6 months.
Your account will automatically be matched when you have successfully saved the $500 within the agreed terms. Once your account has been matched you will receive a letter of confirmation in the mail.
There are no fees for withdrawing saved funds however the customer must not exceed three withdrawals over the period of the program or they will be ineligible for the matching.
Your account will automatically be matched when you have successfully saved the $500 within the agreed terms.
Once your account has been matched a letter of confirmation will be sent out to you.
Once you have completed the program and your account has been matched, you are free to use the money as you please.
Customers are welcome to keep their account open, fee-free, and continue saving in to the account.
However, the AddsUP Matching is a once off offer and there is no further bonus matching after the initial $500.
No, Centrepay is not available on this product type.
As the AddsUP program is only available to those who have successfully paid off their NILS or StepUP loan, it does not sit with National Australia Bank’s mainstream products.
Therefore, the AddsUP account must be opened by the AddsUP team at head office.
Customers should go back to Encircle for program-related queries and/or their local NAB branch for account-related queries.
If these channels are unsuccessful at answering your queries please call the AddsUP team on 1800 559 772.